Dear Alumni and Friends of Whittier College,
Warm Greetings! I hope this letter finds you in the best of spirits, especially as we move forward with the rebuilding of Whittier College. Over the past several months, being a part of the Save Whittier College effort, I have reconnected with classmates and friends and I was reminded of the wonderful memories and community we shared at Whittier College. However, because of the (recently) past administration’s burdensome and problematic beliefs toward community, many of the current students don’t have that same sense of Poet pride that we share. We need your help to remedy this!
I am writing to invite you to join a planning meeting where we will strategize rebuilding our countrywide affinity groups and alumni support and engagement. As you know, our alma mater used to pride itself on fostering community and service to that community. It is our collective responsibility to help uphold these values and ensure that every new student feels welcomed and embraced from the very beginning of their journey. Because of this we want to reinstitute the Whittier College Summer Send-Offs. We need people in different regions to connect together and organize these celebrations for new and returning students! On Tuesday, May 23, 2023 at 5:30 pm (PST) we want to plan with you. Please fill out this sign-up form to RSVP and we will send you a Zoom link to meet.
If you are unable to host or help plan a send-off, don’t worry. We have additional ways to get you involved. Here are a few suggestions:
- Write a Welcome Letter: Pen a heartfelt letter sharing your experiences, challenges, and triumphs during your time at the College. Offer advice, tips, and encouragement to the incoming students, assuring them that they are entering a community that will further their dreams and aspirations.
- Attend the Summer Send-Off Event: Join us at our send-off events if it is close enough for you to attend. Your very presence will provide a sense of connection and reassurance, reminding students that they have a strong support network of alumni rooting for their success. Maybe, if you live near Whittier, you could even volunteer to help students and parents on move-in day in the dorms.
- Mentorship Opportunities: Consider volunteering as a mentor for incoming students. Your guidance can be invaluable in helping them navigate the challenges of college life, explore academic and career paths, and make informed decisions.
- Alumni Panels: Consider participating in panel discussion or Q&A sessions organized for the incoming students. Share your experiences, answer their questions, and offer insights into the diverse paths they can take during their college journey and beyond.
- Donate: Consider making a contribution to a scholarship fund, professor, department, or initiative aimed at creating an enriching educational experience for our students. Your financial support DIRECTLY impacts their lives and the legacy of our alma mater.
Your involvement as alumni in welcoming the incoming and returning students to the Poet community will help forge lasting connections, foster a sense of connection to our alma mater and will pave the way for a restored vitality of our beloved college. Together we can create an environment where every student, professor and dedicated staff member feels valued, supported, and empowered to pursue their passions and dreams.
Rachel Homel Rice ’96
Past Alumni Board President (2008-2010)